Stream Leader: Neil Firth
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to
stand in front of a chorus and lead from the front? Maybe
you’re already directing but want to improve your skills?
Maybe you just want to know more about the role of a
Whatever your directing goals and regardless of experience or current skill level, then this stream is for you.The role of the chorus director goes so much further than just 'waving' your arms around in time to the music. This stream aims to unravel the true scope of the director's role within a chorus.
The chorus director has a vital role to play in helping develop the skills of our chorus singers. Do you have what it takes to get involved in a more ‘up front’ role?
Whether you are an existing front line director, assistant or aspiring director, music team leader, section leader or coach, you have an important part to play and this stream will help you understand what it takes to stand in front of any chorus and bring the whole ensemble together.
By the end of the course you will have a much greater understanding of these key areas:
- The importance of ‘awakening the voice’ and why preparing the chorus to sing is key to a successful rehearsal or performance
- What constitutes a properly planned rehearsal - why is this so important
- The role of the section leader - what they 'really' should be doing
- Positive communication, leadership and motivation - how do we inspire our members to want to turn up to rehearsals each week and learn from us
- How to analyse the music before it reaches the chorus
- Some simple directing skills, tricks and non-verbal communication - the effects of which will improve almost anyone out front of a chorus, no matter what their current level
- An opportunity for one to one coaching in your own personal directing style - you will be encouraged to 'have a go!' if you want
Note: There will also be more advanced sessions this year for those who have previously attended and for those who have more directing experience.
Once again there will be a Directors' Chorus with a special song for the stream - this year it will be "What'll I Do", arranged by Ed Waesche. All students on the stream are required to learn their part to the song in advance. Download instructions for the music and teach tracks will be sent to you when you enrol.
If you have a burning desire to improve your directing
and leadership skills, then this stream is for you.